Saturday, July 16, 2005

Key West


Florida Thunderstorm
Originally uploaded by sasnook.
Promptly after forth of July weekend I began working on my multi-engine commercial add-on. While I was in Europe, Jen, my instrument/single-engine commercial instructor, was hired by Sun Aviation in Vero Beach flying a Beech jet. And although I was thrilled she got a great job, I was bummed that she would no longer be my instructor. Thankfully, I got Kevin, another awesome instructor. So in the past few weeks Kevin and I have been knocking out lessons in a Piper Seminole. The humorous thing about flying the multi is that most of my flight time in the Seminole is done single engine. But last night I had one of the most amazing flights. I decided to put my two cross-country lessons together to fly down to Key West. Nicole and Paul came along for the ride, always have to make it a party. As we flew south we could see massive thunderstorms. The picture attached is just one of the many thunderheads we flew by. I wish we could have captured the lightening that was in these storms. But it was an amazing flight. Once we arrived all four of us climbed into a taxi and had dinner at the Conch Republic, a good seafood restaurant on a wharf. Unfortunately we had decided we didn’t have time to change out of our uniforms and while at dinner were pegged as cruise ship workers. We just smiled and nodded. Dinner was all we had time for in Key West and we then returned home. The light show over Florida was beautiful that evening, the storms were so large and massive and at night they seemed that much bigger and scarier. Without the sun it was difficult to judge how close we were to them. Shortly after mid-night we made it home safely from yet again another adventure. Next on the list: flying the skies of Alaska and landing in all kinds of crazy places.

No comments: