Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Day 1: Arriving in Anchorage


Beaver
Originally uploaded by sasnook.
This morning I woke up and headed to the Minneapolis airport, courtesy of aunt Shelly’s airport taxi service (she has been wonderful about taking me to and from MSP). My attempt to catch the first plane failed miserably and I caught the 11:25. Fortunately, as luck will have it, I met another pilot while waiting named Matt who is a sophomore at UND. His father is a B-747 captain for Northwest Airlines and is based out of Anchorage. We both were flying stand-by and although we weren’t sitting next to each other we visited one another and played hangman and the dot game while talking about aviation making the six-hour flight fly by.

Once I arrived in Anchorage, Brad, Matt’s dad offered to take me to the Anchorage Guest House where I was staying and extended a dinner invitation for dinner at F Street, which is well known by pilots in the Anchorage area. At F Street the three of us had Halibut and talked shop. After dinner, Matt and I found a driving range at the base of a mountain and enjoyed the beautiful weather and sunlight. But for now it is time to get some rest and catch a flight to Kodiak to meet up with Bill tomorrow.

No comments: