Monday, May 23, 2005

I’m Joining the Flying Circus!


Paul & I
Originally uploaded by sasnook.
This past Friday I became a commercial pilot. Dad asked me “Afton, what can this commercial certificate do for you?” In response I began to cite the FAR’s telling him I could crop dust, tow banners, do pipeline patrol…pretty much not act like an air carrier, yet get paid for my services as a pilot. Now my father, being the loving, harassing dad that he is, said “Well I guess that means you can get a job with the Flying Circus, because that’s where you belong!” So now I’m not only IFR rated (I Fly Roads); but I can be (or to my father, I already am) a flying clown.
Many other’s this week completed certificates. Bobby and Paul completed their commercial multiengine and sadly Bobby returned to LA, he will be missed. And Mike and Alex completed their CFI. To celebrate everyone got together to play volleyball and grill out. Congrats Paul, Bobby, Mike and Alex.
Next on my agenda is to complete my multiengine commercial rating…but that’s when I get back from Europe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Afton:

Grandma and I hope you had a wonderful trip to Europe. We are surprised to hear that you are in the Flying Circus. I guess they still have them so if you are doing any stunts in the L.A. area give us a heads up so we can watch. Congratulations on getting your commercial pilot's license.

I'm trying to regain the hearing in my right ear and so far it seem to be improving after a week of medication. I still have nine days to go and an MRI and another appointment with my ENT doctor before I'll know where I stand. then I can start planning for Chris's wedding and the replacement of my right hip.

Love

Grams and Gramps

Mona said...

I found you through randomly leafing blogs.

Congrats on becoming a commercial pilot and perhaps dabbling in professional clowning. You seem to not mind your dad's comments too much!