Sunday, May 29, 2005

Edinburgh


First Night in Europe
Originally uploaded by sasnook.
Once arriving in London, I went directly by train up to Edinburgh. I was supposed to stay in York that night, and I am not sure what changed my mind to continue on, but I am glad that I did because the people that I met that night will forever be dear to me. I think the reason I continued on that train through York is because I was still trying to figure out where I would be sleeping that night. I had visions of myself sleeping on a park bench or in a train station. Needless to say I was a scared first time traveler in Europe. I didn’t know what to expect or what was around the corner, as much I was excited for the unknown, I was very much afraid of it.
Between York and Edinburgh I decided upon a Hostel called Brodies. I mainly picked it because it was cheap and it had free Internet. When I stepped out of the train station, I don’t know what I was expecting, but I wasn’t expecting a city of that size in front of me. I honestly don’t know what kept me from having a melt down right then and there. I remember thinking that I could call mom and dad and they would have me on the next plane home. Well obviously that didn’t happen. I wanted this trip too badly for too long.
So I hiked it up what felt like a trillion stairs to High Street and searched for Brodies. I arrived reeking of sweat and feeling heavier than ever with my backpack strapped to me. I hadn’t slept since leaving Orlando, so it had been a good 36 hours. My goal was to find something to eat and crash for the night. As I was leaving Brodies, a guy and girl were standing in the common area of the hostel discussing where they were going to eat. This is when I met Victoria (Tor) and Jared, two Australians that quickly became close friends. I went to grab a bit to eat with them and the next thing I knew I was calling Mom and Dad and telling them I was already having the time of my life and that evening I went to a comedy club with Tor and Jared as well as another Aussi, Nick and two Americans, Daniel and Alex. Over the next few days in Edinburgh I hung out with Tor and Jared, going to Edinburgh Castle, the Museum of Scotland, and not to mention the many bars. Sadly, I left yesterday evening to catch the train to Glasgow where I had the pleasant experience of sleeping in the airport in order to catch a Ryan Air flight to Paris.

No comments: