Thursday, March 24, 2005

Loops and Spins and Barrel Rolls...Oh My!


Loop De Lou, Loop De La
Originally uploaded by sasnook.
Today I flew up side down. Yes, up side down. I did loops, barrel rolls and spun the Zlin. You would think that one would be nervous about performing such maneuvers, but the truth is, I was so excited! This was exactly what flying is all about, and I get three more hours in this toy airplane! The reason behind the aerobatic flying I did today is that Flight safety has students fly four hours in the Zlin for upset recovery and spin training. This is primarily so that as pilots we will know what to do if ever put in a spin condition and then on the side we get to have some fun and pull a few G’s. I had my first of four lessons today in which we did chandelles, lazy 8’s, Crazy 8’s and wingovers. These maneuvers gently increases in bank and pitch, easing us into more unusual attitude of flying. Chandelles introduced 30-45 degrees of bank in a high pitch attitude and by the time I was doing a wing over, with 90 degrees of bank, I was ready for a full fledge loop – which I promptly did again and again and again, until Dave, my instructor, told me it was time to stall spin the aircraft. We did that a few times, it happened so quickly, it was amazing that in an instant I had lost a thousand feet of altitude. I was like a little kid in a candy shop, which Dave saw and introduced me to barrel rolls. I could have done those all the way back to the airport. Then he wanted to know if I wanted to fly inverted – HELLS YA I WANTED TO! So he took the controls and flipped us up side down and we just cruised along for a while. The G’s I felt on my body as we pulled out of that was intense. I’m flying in the Zlin again tomorrow and I am shaking with excitement. More barrel rolls, loops and spinning!!! The accompanying picture was taken by Dave while up side down during one of my loops – look in the upper right hand corner and you can see the ground. Other than that, all is well with me, unfortunately my Apple is sick and has been sent to see Dr. Mac.

No comments: