Sunday, January 30, 2005

Never Trust A Cookie Box By It's Cover


The Chocolate Chip Cookie
Originally uploaded by sasnook.
For those of you that don’t know, I recently discovered that I MAY have celiac’s disease. For those of you that don’t know what celica’s disease is, it is usually hereditary and causes a person to have an intolerance to gluten, which is found in wheat, rye, oats, and other grains. It has different side effects for different people, headaches being one of them. I say that I “may” have it because I have not yet been officially tested, but it is a common disease in my family and since mom and I road-tripped down here and found out headaches are a symptom from my Aunt Lyn in Atlanta, I have stopped eating gluten products all together and therefore my headaches have stopped as well. To test my theory a week ago I decided to eat wheat and see if it would cause a headache... and as I expected, it did. Since then what I can eat is limited and therefore I have been on the prall for gluten free products…so when I saw this box of chocolate chip cookies (picture shown) I was so excited that I couldn’t contain myself. I mean, yum, big yummy chocolate chip cookie…or so I thought. To my dismay, I opened the package in great anticipation, only to discover a little brown ball that resembled something that didn’t even look as good as the pre-made frozen cookie dough you can buy from the Schwan’s man. So immediately I searched the packaging for cooking instructions thinking they would need to be baked (which would be unfortunate as well because I don’t have an oven). Well, they didn’t need to be baked…but it suggests warming them in the microwave and eating them with a cold glass of milk – trust me I tried that experiment later that day and that didn’t help the foul what could be a cookie flavor in my mouth. So again I looked at the packaging and if you will please notice the small white print above the BIG YUMMY looking cookie it says “extreme close-up” – talk about advertisement fraud! I guess this is just an example of why people say to “never trust a book by its cover” – ERRRRRR.

No comments: