Monday, October 31, 2005

Hurricane Wilma

I am happy to report that hurricane Wilma did not sweep me or any of the aircraft at Flight Safety out to the Atlantic Ocean as it passed through as a category 2/3 hurricane. I appreciate that many of you called, concerned that I would be in Florida as it passed through. Thankfully I was not.

The craziness began the Wednesday before when discussion of evacuating Flight Safety planes to Lakeland, FL and Dothan, Alabama. It was am immediate reaction, students began to buy tickets to go home, the grocery stores by Thursday evening had only a few bottles of water remaining on their shelves and everyone was preparing for the worst. I went to Orlando with Dave in hopes to dodge Wilma, which was unsuccessful, although I had a great time meeting his parents and a few of his aunts and uncles. I spent Saturday with Dave’s mom and two aunts, during which they enjoyed interrogating me and told me a few incriminating stories about him. Wilma was originally supposed to pass through Florida on Saturday and was now forecasted to pass through Monday morning after it’s previously caused damage to the Yucatan Peninsula. Dave had to return to Atlanta for work, so we flew out together. Wilma struck the following morning. I then flew to Dothan, AL to return home with my flight instructor, Willis and roommate, Melissa. When I showed up, to my surprise Flight Safety needed me to fly a Seminole back home. Melissa and I were thrilled because it would be just the two of us in a multi-engine on a cross-country flight, and the best part about it was that we didn’t have to pay for the 2.4 hours it took us to return…free multi time, a rare thing.

When we returned I understood what fall is in Florida, the amount of branches and trees that were down was amazing; already people had piled the fallen brush at the end of their driveways. No major damage was done thankfully. Our flightline had a few new skylights, and about 50% of the area was without power, but all in all, Wilma was nothing like the hurricanes Central Florida endured the previous year. Going to the grocery store has been an interesting experience all week. The Wednesday that followed Wilma, the shelves were bare with NOTHING in the dairy, meat, or frozen sections. And for the few days that followed, those shelves remained bare, as soon as food came in, its shelf life was so short that it was gone by that evening. But now one week after this natural disaster, things seem to be back to normal. Everyone has power again, the flight line is up and running and I can go to the grocery store and have no problem buying a pint of ice Ben and Jerry’s. As for my life, by the next time you hear from me, I should be a certified flight instructor.

No comments: